Ecommerce is the process of buying and selling products and services or transformation of funds or data over an electronic network, commonly the internet. For more than the last 15 years, eCommerce industry has taken baby steps day by day and has successfully achieved the glorious position of influencing element in modern economics.
Different eCommerce platforms have emerged and served this industry for more than a decade. They gained trust of their customers in a way that has turned their clients from small businesses to global brands.
Here is a descriptive study of the most renowned industry leading eCommerce platforms that has given business a new definition.
Shopify is the most popular eCommerce platform to start an online business. Shopify started their journey nearly a decade ago in 2006 with a view to selling snowboard equipment. From a team of 5 in a local coffee shop, Shopify is now a company with 1500+ employees having 5 offices across North America.
This cloud-based, multi-channel eCommerce platform is impressively designed for small and medium-sized businesses. Over 300000 businesses in almost 150 countries have trusted and are using Shopify including companies like Tesla Motors, Red Bull and New York Stock Exchange etc.
(01) 100+ professional themes.
(02) Ready for Mobile Commerce.
(03) Expert Support.
(04) Allowing HTML (Hyper Text Markup Language) and CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) support.
(05) Freedom of branding and customizing the online store.
(06) Web-based website builder.
(07) Free 256-bit SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) certificate.
(08) 70 different payment gateways
(09) Multiple language service.
(10) Important checkout recovery.
(11) Creating customer profiles, accounts and groups service.
(12) Refund policy.
(13) Search Engine Optimization (SEO) service.
(14) Google AdWords credits and generated sitemap.
(15) Social media integration like Email and Facebook marketing.
(16) Freedom in managing inventory.
(17) Both physical and digital product selling service.
(18) Unlimited products to sell from one store.
(19) Unlimited bandwidth and daily backups.
(20) 99.99% uptime and 24/7 monitoring and customer service.
(21) Google Analytics and traffic/referral reports enabled.
For a business that just got started, the basic package goes for $29/month. However, the general service for a growing business is $79/month and for an almost successful business the advanced services are sold for $299/month.
However, Shopify offers a 14 days free trial without providing any credit card information so that anyone can test their service and take decision without any hesitation.
BigCommerce, needless to say is another popular platform for starting an eCommerce business for their nonnegotiable customer support. From internationally recognized automobile brand Toyota to world renowned shoe company like Payless, Bigcommerce has proved their efficiency in empowering its customers businesses in every ways possible.
(01) Totally customizable online store site with 100+ stunning themes.
(02) Painless eCommerce re-platforming from another platform.
(03) Expert help in designing.
(04) Simultaneous selling service from desktop, tablet and mobile.
(05) Bulk product import/export facility.
(06) 12+ payment options for high risk industries.
(07) Unlimited bandwidth with industry leading 99.99% uptime.
(08) Multi-layered security with dedicated or shared SSL certificates.
(09) DDoS (Distributed Denial of Service) protection and automated fraud detection.
(11) Social sharing for selling products and Email marketing service.
(12) Search Engine Optimization (SEO) service.
(13) Conversation Rate Optimization (CRO) tools.
(14) Only eCommerce platform providing Paypal one touch built in allowing 170+ million worldwide Paypal users to checkout securely and instantly.
(15) Google Trusted Stores (GTS) certification with fully automated integration.
(16) Live chat support.
(18) Ecommerce focused web analytics.
(22) Many powerful app service like HubSpot for marketing, Google AdWords for advertising, Optimizely for A/B testing, ShipperHQ, ShipStation and ShippingEasy for automatic shipping, NetSuite and Microsoft Dynamics for all the Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP), Salesforce and Zoho for Customer Relationship Management (CRM), QuickBooks, Xero and Sage for accounting.
The Standard package for new businesses costs $29.95/month, the Plus package costs $79.95/month for integrated optimized conversation and customer group management as it serves the growing business, again the Pro package comes with $199.95/month for providing high-volume security and analytics for the businesses which are almost in the driving seat. Bigcommerce even got an Enterprise package which provides an ultimate cloud eCommerce solution but you will have to contact them personally to use the solution for your business.
However, they offer a 15 days trial and a 10% discount if the payment is performed annually.
Founded in 2007, Weebly is a complete platform that allowing anyone to start and grow an online business with beautiful website templates, powerful eCommerce and integrated marketing services. 40+ million entrepreneurs around the world use Weebly to grow their business.
(01) Fully Integrated Shopping Cart and secure checkout.
(02) Inventory tracking.
(03) Powerful inventory searching options.
(04) Selling physical and digital products at the same time.
(05) Managing store with iPhone and Android apps.
(06) Powerful eCommerce website builder.
(07) Search Engine Optimization (SEO) service.
(09) Flexible shipping options.
(10) Bulk import and export management.
(11) Email Campaigns.
The Starter package costs $8.00/month, the Pro package for groups and organizations costs $12.00/month, the Business plan for small business and stores costs $25.00/month and the best service, the Performance suite gets sold for $49.00/month.
However, Weebly offers a free package for basic uses but here, they will use web spaces for their Ads. You will be able to use a .weebly.com subdomain with 500MB disk space.
But they offer no trial, so think and analyze before you take the final decision.
Magento is another industry leading platform for eCommerce innovation with a $50+ billion gross merchandise volume transaction. They won the first position in Internet Retailer (IR) Top 1000, B2B 300 and hot 100 lists in 2015 and Platform IR in Europe 500 in 2016.
This open source, cloud-based eCommerce omnichannel innovative solution platform has given its customers a vast opportunity of empowering their business by selling their physical and digital products worldwide with the help of Magento’s vast global network of 300+ solution and technology partners with 66000+ developers maintaining a highly active global community.
(01) Enterprise Cloud Edition (ECE), a combination of industry-leading cloud technologies and Magento Enterprise Edition for faster, cheaper and higher quality service to its customers.
(02) 24/7 monitoring and support.
(03) Software as a Solution (SaaS) services like elastic scalability, high resilience and availability, PCI (Payment Card Industry) compliance, global availability and automated patching.
(04) Content Delivery Network (CDN) and Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) protection.
(05) Ensuring fast checkouts and seamless shopper experience.
(06) Fast deployment with different types of third-party solutions like ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning), PIM (Product Information Management), OMS (Order Management System), CRM (Customer Relationship Management) and CMS (Content Management system) solutions.
(07) Recurring and Bulk ordering service.
(08) Multiple languages and currencies service.
(09) Magento Analytics by RJMetrics.
(10) Cohort and Churn Analysis.
(11) Marketing ROI (Return On Investment) and Email segmentation.
The pricing system of Magento is a bit different from other companies. Magento has a huge amount of tools, you are free to choose the ones you need for your business. The total cost of those individual tools is the price you pay.
By expanding product assortment, promoting and selling products on performing channels enabling rapid and on-time customer delivery, CommerceHub helps retailers and brands increase their sales.
Founded in 1997 by Frank Poore and Richard Jones, CommerceHub, New York’s Tech Valley headquartered company has been providing cloud-based technologies and services to its 200+ enterprise retailers and 900+ brands optimizing 50 million unique products through sales performance.
(01) Product Assortment with Drop Ship Suppliers and Marketplace Sellers.
(02) Integrated Network of Distribution Partners for achieving 2-days delivery for 98% customers.
(03) Stock Keeping Unit (SKU) enhancement services.
(04) Order fulfillment with any supplier.
(05) Product syndication, order integration and fulfillment compliance.
(07) Digital Ads service.
(08) Maximum speed, minimum cost delivery.
CommerceHub pricing policy is a bit similar like Magento, you will have to contact them them for pricing details.
Creating a connection of people and commerce, Vlousion is now a 15+ years old company with 350+ employees, 40,000+ stores and $21+ billion merchant sales. Volusion is trusted by various companies like The New York Times, Entrepreneur and Mashable etc.
(01) Beautiful designs for storefront.
(02) Easy product managing.
(04) 24/7 service and support.
(05) Built-in SEO.
(07) Powerful inventory management.
(08) Payment Card Industry (PCI) certification for data security.
(09) 99.9% uptime guarantee with effective SSL certificate and Content Delivery Network (CDN) support.
The Mini version for 100 products and 1GB bandwidth costs $15/month, the Plus version costs $35/month giving 1000 products and 3GB bandwidth, the Pro version comes for $75/month for 10,000 products and 10GB bandwidth, the Ultimate version costs $135/month for unlimited products and 35GB bandwidth.
However, Vlousion offers a 14 days trial without any fees, commitment or credit cards.
In the conclusion, it can be said that starting your eCommerce business is no more a dream project. You have nothing to fear about any service issue. There are now many solutions available to empower you to provide your service worldwide.
Start your eCommerce business today and keep going. Hopefully, one day your small business will turn into a brand too.